Friday, May 18, 2012

Recycling of tree branches..........

 
Yes where there are trees, there are fallen branches for sure, especially after a big windstorm…we have many trees in our front park and one in just front of our main gate…here I am telling you how to turn tree tailing into wooden buttons that add a natural touch to any heavy garment .or to your furnishings.the process is simple……..an expert(carpenter) will tips from his experiences on what branches to look for(and avoid), how to dry wood, and how to prevent splitting during drilling..
So instead of spending money on endangered-hardwood, sweatshop-labour buttons from around the world, why not wear a piece of local, living tree that you love?????





 
 My handy man helped me make my buttons out of a log (branch) from a tree in our front main gate…..
Instructions on how to make diy wooden buttons:
Begin by using a sharp tool or a pencil to mark the intervals where your buttons will be cut. You want them to be relatively thin, but they should not be so thin that they risk snapping. I found that they should be at least 1/8″ thick. I marked next to my notches in black so that you can see them more clearly.
Cut the end of the branch using the hacksaw or you can use electric table saw. The project is admittedly far more tedious when sawing by hand, but I wanted to show that this could be done without any major tool investment. My handy man is equipped with his handsaw only. But if you or your handyman do have an electric saw, I would recommend using that for expediency. Of course watch your fingers, incase you yourself is doing this task or instruct your handyman for these safety measures like….. Wear safety glasses! Right!!
Place the sawed end of the branch over the edge of your work surface, and saw through the first line you’ve marked off. Once you’ve sawed that button off, continue until you have as many as you’d like.
Using your drill l with a very fine drill bit, carefully position your bit just left of center and drill through the button. My handyman drilled atop an old piece of wood to protect his work surface. Repeat with the other side of the button to create two holes (here I do made him to make four as the diameter of buttons is big)for sewing. If you prefer the look, then you can too drill four holes instead.
One you’ve drilled through all your buttons, lightly buff each side with sandpaper to remove any edges that could snag clothing or other fabric.
 

After sanding, simply polish each button on both sides with a wood product, such as furniture polish or the like. This will seal the buttons a bit and give them a more ‘finished’ look.
 
Mine buttons are waiting for their last finishing touch! I will apply two coats of varnish on them!  The reason .it is in hand with me, but it’s really more to shine than polish.I’ recommend a polish or wax for this step.
There you have it_______as many cute little wooden buttons as you’ll ever want. You don’t need to buy any expensive tools, and you’ll save a lot in the long run over ordering wooden buttons from the market…………..

the buttons above on my curtains were costly .....now i can use my own created buttons on my other new curtains.right!


and i have to cover a button for my wreath rag flower...........now i can use my wooden ones!

this is the button selvedge d from my shirt i sewed in 1974 when i was in 11th not only that it was used on my purse and the selvedged from purse for another new project.this is bigger then my wooden buttons.Now i will use my wooden buttons wherever big buttons are required.right.......

Have a good creative day!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment